Find a PROpane Express Exchange Station or Refill Location near you!
Search Zip Code:
Cylinder Exchange & Refill
Propane tank refills
ProGas supplies many propane cylinder exchange stations located at neighborhood convenience stores, gas stations, garden centers and more throughout Pennsylvania, Ohio & West Virginia. Use our finder to determine the propane cylinder exchange nearest you!
Once you find a convenient location, speak with the sales representative about exchanging your empty cylinder for one that’s full.
Important: Never bring the empty cylinder inside the store.
You can also purchase extra cylinders for your convenience, a good idea if you’re always busy with the barbecue during the grilling season.
Removing an empty cylinder from your grill
Here’s a step-by-step guide to safely removing and replacing the gas cylinder on your propane grill:
- Turn off your grill.
- Locate your propane cylinder; it may be behind a door (depending on how your grill is designed).
- There are two basic parts of your grill that are important when changing a propane cylinder: the cylinder’s tank valve and the grill’s pressure regulator.
- Before you disconnect the pressure regulator, make sure that the tank valve is closed (turn it all the way to the right).
- Once the tank valve is closed, unscrew the threaded pressure regulator (turn it counterclockwise). It is now safe to remove the propane cylinder (on some propane grills, the tank is held on the barbecue by a restraining bolt or screw; loosen it to remove the tank).
- To reconnect your propane tank, simply reverse the disconnection process—making sure that the tank valve is closed when you reconnect the pressure regulator. Replacement propane cylinders often come with a plastic safety cap over the tank valve assembly. Just remove this.
Transporting portable cylinders safely
- All cylinders must be transported in an upright position after they are filled. Cylinders should not be transported
- Do not leave a filled tank inside your car for any length of time, especially in the summer.