10 Safety Tips for Winter in the PA, WV & OH Tri-state Area
Here are some safety tips from our propane experts as we wait out the winter season and look forward to warmer weather.
1. Keep the area around your heating system clear; never store anything flammable near your furnace or boiler.
2. Check appliances’ outside air vents regularly for blockages; use a broom (not a shovel) to gently clear any buildup of snow, ice or other debris.
3. Change or clean furnace filters a minimum of once per season.
4. Schedule a gas systems safety inspection of your appliances once a year.
5. Install carbon monoxide (CO) detectors on every floor of your home, and within 10 feet of every bedroom; make sure smoke and CO detectors work properly.
6. Never use an oven or a stove to heat your home.
7. Keep your fuel tank unobstructed. Remove leaves, branches and other debris from the area so that our drivers can access it easily.
8. After a snowfall, please clear a 12- to 24-inch-wide path to your tank and clear off the top of the tank.
9. Remove any icicles that are hanging from your roof over your outside tank so that they do not fall and break equipment.
10. Make sure your driveway gets cleared and sanded after a storm. Delivery trucks need a 10- to 15-foot-wide path in order to maneuver and a surface that is not slippery or unsafe.
At ProGas, your comfort and safety remain our top priorities. Read more propane safety tips.